06 March 2006

Psalm 101

"1 I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.

2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me?

I will walk within my house with a perfect heart

3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes:

I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me

4 A forward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person

5 Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off:

Him that hath a high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.

6 Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me:

He that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me.

7 He that worketh deceit fshall not edwell within my house:

He that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight

8 I will early destroy all the wicked of the land;

That I may cut off all wicked doers from the city of the LORD." KJV

When I read through that the first time, I was basically saying, "Ok, God, so...I'll just skip this Psalm and go to Ephesians, 'cause this has nothing for me." Of course, then God told me to ask Him to reveal it to me, and I reluctantly did because I thought that even God couldn't apply this to my life.

Oops, I guess I put God in a box again.

David is describing how to become Holy. To be set apart, and blameless.

(v_1) Check it out, first he is worshipping God. That means he is putting God first in his life. Not only that, but he names God Yahweh so he is worshipping the True and Living God only. He is singing, which is the gift that God has given him, so he is using his gifts and talents to worship God.

(v_2) He vows to behave well, and according to the law. Yet, the next thing he writes is asking God when He will come to him. That shows David's humility in knowing that he has no way of doing anything for God without God being with him and helping him. Next, David says that he will walk within his house with a perfect heart. He is following God even in private where no one can see him or keep him accountable except God Himself. So to David, it is a serious matter to follow God and he is not in it for the praise and adoration of man. It is not a show.

(v_3 4) He is humble enough to know his weaknesses and does not set any evil thing in front of his eyes, knowing that it could stumble him. He does not fellowship with those who would drag him down. Yes, he may be acquainted with them in such a way as to be a witness, but he does not 100% befriend them. Because of this, the evil things that they do will not find their way into David's heart. He believes that his heart is wicked enough and wants that wickedness to depart from him.

(v_5) David will not tolerate any sin in his own life and refuses to condone any sin in others' lives.

(v_6) He puts good things in front of his eyes instead of the evil. He focuses on them. He decided to surround himself with godly influences.

(v_7) Again, he will not allow bad influences to be a friend of his.

(v_8) He will destroy the wicked that will cause others to stumble and protect the things that God has given him.

This kind of reminds me of Philippians 4:8 where we are told to think upon all of these good things. First, however, through Philippians 4:6-7, we are told not to worry but to pray. Basically, take all the bad out of your head, pray about it, and then focus on the good things. This is how to be holy. He will renew our minds with the washing of the Word, but how will He wash us with the Word if we are never exposed to it?

Think about it.

YSIC

No comments: