11 March 2006

Luke 6:46-49

Well, I was reading the post I just posted and remembered more clearly what Hannah and I were talking about. I brought out Luke 6:46-49 as being "anchored" in the Lord.


"46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
48 He is like a man which built a house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built a house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great" KJV

In Matthew, the "digged deep" part is not there (Matthew 7:24-27). For some reason, I always pictured this account as being the foolish house on the beach, and the wise house up on the hill by the beach on solid rock. But I don't think that is what this passage is saying. These houses were RIGHT next to each other! The one man dug down into the earth until he hit rock then built his house on that. The foolish man was too lazy to dig down and just built his house on the earth without digging to find a solid foundation. This is what we are called to do. The rock is Jesus Christ, as we follow expositional constancy.

We are called to dig into our faith and build our faith on Christ. We go through the doctrines of man and the things of the world and get to the point where we hit Jesus. Once we have found that solid, unchanging Rock, we can then begin building our relationship and our faith on Him. If we are lazy and just take what others say as truth and not be diligent like the Bereans (Acts 17:11), then we are going to falter when we are challenged. Not founded on Christ, the flooded stream beating on the house will collapse it immediately. We are to build on Christ, not our church, not our friends, not what our church tells us is true, but what we have found to be true according to His Word. PLEASE do not count on others to do your Bible study for you! Jesus wants YOU to know Him. He doesn't want there to be a middle man!

Christ wants to have an individual relationship with each and every one of us. The relationship that He has with me is different than the one He has with you. He has been showing me lately that I am not to compare myself to others. I used to look at a friend who obviously has a very close relationship with God and be jealous of them. Then I would look at someone who does not have as good a relationship with Christ and feel sorry for them. Talk about pride! God has been revealing His heart to me! I now look at a friend who has a not-so-good relationship with God and think "wow, God is going to do so much in their life! He has so much waiting for them! I am so excited for what they are going to experience soon!!" I see the person with the wonderful relationship with God and say "I am so excited that God is going to do that in my life!" It is incredible to think that He has an individual relationship with EVERYONE who knows Him!

So Groß ist der Herr!

YSIC
Stephanie

No comments: